Wednesday, October 31, 2012

My spouse Luci experienced a service encounter the other day

 that took us both by surprise simply because it occurred with a company that generally has exceptional service requirements: Starbucks.

 Luci relates what occurred: Andrew was conducting an eBay training workshop regionally so I went into our nearby Starbucks to buy a coffee traveler' 1 of those containers of fresh drip coffee developed for long drives. I also needed 8 muffins. They didn't have any on the display stand, but I did place some unopened containers of muffins, scones, and so on waiting around to be unpacked. Picking up two containers of muffins I was abruptly stopped by the change supervisor. She told me I couldn't have them simply because that was their stock for the week.

 This reaction took me by surprise isn't the stage to sell them? I requested. In my mind, I was thinking, wouldn't you instead sell them now than wait and HOPE you can sell them all later?' The reaction to my reasoning? She grunted and rolled her eyes at me. I did a double-consider at this response this was the supervisor! Is not she intended to be the design of friendliness and service to the other staff?! Anyhow, clutching my hard-earned' (and still frozen, I may include) muffins, I went to spend for them. Seeing as they were still frozen and there fairly a couple of of them, I requested for another box of sizzling drinking water to defrost them quickly. The supervisor (whose satisfaction had obviously been wounded by my rational reasoning on the muffin entrance) immediately misplaced any remaining fragments of service ability. She said she'd by no means been requested that before and would have to charge me for the box!

 She went out the back to discover out how a lot to charge me. By this time I had already been waiting around for 5 minutes. Two individuals behind me were served whilst I waited both of them obtained a hot smile as they were each offered their $3 cups of coffee. Ten MINUTES Later no kidding the sour-confronted supervisor arrived back and knowledgeable me they would charge me $five for the box if I needed the sizzling drinking water.

 By this stage, I was fed up and just needed to leave I would had a lot of time to function out that with the traveler box of coffee, the box was in fact free (it was the same cost as the equivalent amount of coffee offered in cups). I dropped the issue of the extra box and rather requested for two Venti cups (the largest dimension) complete of sizzling drinking water.

 Evidently that was an acceptable ask for, and I was granted 4 cups. She gave me the sizzling drinking water, each cup doubled up, in a 4-cup tray, obviously not even considering that the price of that amount of cups additionally the tray probably amounted to much more than the box would have been! I compensated $45 for all these items, waited fifteen minutes, and the only smile or thank you' I obtained was from the trainee who I discovered had been there just three times! Right me if I am wrong but, viewing as I would invested $45 in the shop, shouldn't I have been handled at Least as great as (if not better than) the individuals behind me who invested $3 apiece?

 The lesson from this should be apparent. The encounter left a bitter flavor in Luci's mouth (pardon the pun) and resulted in unfavorable publicity for Starbucks simply because we told our loved ones and friends (and now you) how she was handled there. The steps of that 1 worker colored our view of the company and we will believe two times before utilizing that shop again (poor news for them with what we invest!).

 Customers are the lifeblood of your business. Deal with (and view) each customer like they are your ONLY customer and they will react in kind. They are providing you their hard-attained money - treat them like royalty and they will react with loyalty and great referrals. Deal with them like a necessary nuisance' or a disturbance (as Luci was handled) and you will view your business's lifeblood gradually ebb absent, 1 customer at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment